Saturday, June 7, 2008

Powerful Push-ups for girls

Ok, this really is not a mystery, at least for me: any exercise that is difficult and does not damage your body is great for you. The only time in my life I was overweight was at Snow College. I was already dancing 2 hours a day - lazily, due to my disillusionment with the drill team - no excuses. I put on a crushed velvet outfit for a performance, looked in the mirror and thought "I look pregnant." I am not unnecessarily harsh on myself, I really did look a month or two along. Well enough of that. I started doing 50 push-ups every night. A month or so later I was back in dancer shape. End of story.

Ok, we can't all do 50 push-ups. Yet. I made myself. Slow, even if it took 10 minutes, I got through it. I allowed myself to push up to an upside down V, but I made the rule that my weight must be somewhat evenly distributed between my hands and feet at all times.

If you do this and you hold your body right, it is a very intense total body workout that is relatively short. It usually puts me in the mood to exercise, which may be why it worked for me down at Snow. But whatever else I did, I kept doing 50 push-ups every night for 4-5 years. Somewhere I slacked off and I am working my way back up. I don't do this every night, as I have learned taking a few nights off allows muscles to heal and build up. I am up to 30 push-ups. How many can you do?

No comments: